The time right after a car accident is chaotic, with significant emotional distress and often severe physical injuries. If you or a loved one has been in a car accident, allow a DC automobile accident attorney to help you through this challenging time.
An experienced legal advocate can handle questions from investigators and insurance companies and explain your situation to creditors while you focus on regaining your health and life. At Johnnie Bond Law, we understand the difficulties you face and we are ready to support you and fight for fair compensation to make up for your losses and prepare you for the future.
Automobile Accident Claims Through Insurance
If your accident is the fault of another driver, you will need to deal with your insurance company and the other driver’s insurance. It is possible that an insurance company will offer a fair settlement for your claim.
However, insurance is a business, so initial settlement offers usually provide far less than a victim is entitled to receive. A knowledgeable DC automobile accident lawyer could evaluate the circumstances and determine an approximate value for the claim based on legal precedent. This gives you a guideline to evaluate the adequacy of any settlement offers you receive.
After an insurer has seen that you have evidence to support a claim in court, they are more likely to settle a claim for a fair amount. You should receive enough to cover your medical expenses and lost wages, meet future medical needs, and compensate you for the pain and suffering you have endured.
Common Causes of Auto Accidents in the DC Area
Car accidents might result from bad weather, damaged roads, or medical emergencies, but negligent drivers are quite often the most obvious cause. Some common reasons for auto accidents caused by other motorists include:
- Distracted or careless driving (such as using a cell phone)
- Aggressive or reckless driving (including road rage)
- Passenger distractions
- Drug or alcohol impairment
If another driver is responsible for an accident that caused you severe injury, don’t wait to contact an automobile accident attorney. Serious injuries can result even from low-speed collisions, and symptoms may not become evident until days after the accident. Get a thorough medical exam and let your advocates at Johnnie Bond Law take care of the insurance companies so that you can concentrate on taking care of yourself.
What You Should (and Should Not) Do After an Auto Accident
Here is a checklist of things to do directly after an accident, if possible:
- Contact the police right away
- Alert emergency personnel about any injuries to yourself or others
- Do not say you’re sorry or say anything that could be taken as an admission of guilt (the insurance company or other driver may use this against you later)
- Gather the other driver’s name, phone number, driver’s license number, license plate, and insurance information
- Collect witnesses’ names and phone numbers
- Take photos of the accident site, including all involved vehicles, if you are able
- Do not leave the area until the police have made a report
- Undergo a thorough medical exam to determine the extent of any injuries
- Seek medical attention for any pain, even days after the car crash
If you are unable to take photos at the time due to your injuries, send someone to the site to take pictures of the accident scene and vehicles involved. Pay close attention to skid marks and signs of damage.
Consult an Auto Accident Attorney Experienced with Claims in the DC Metro Area
You can trust Johnnie Bond Law to handle your automobile accident claim with courtesy and professionalism. Our law firm has the knowledge and experience needed to get insurers to provide proper compensation for your injuries, whether through a settlement or litigation. Get in touch via our online contact form, or call us at 202-683-6803 to schedule a free consultation.
Get a Free Case Evaluation.
We're Available to Help You 24/7.
You can also complete the form below, and we will reach out to you.